At New City, we recognize that everyone is on a journey of faith and that people are at different places in their understanding of God, themselves, and this world. You may not agree with our doctrinal positions at all points, and we’re ok with that. We seek to foster a safe environment where people can ask questions and examine the Scriptures to see what they teach.
So what does New City Church believe?
- We believe that the Bible is the written word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit and without error in the original manuscripts. The Bible is the revelation of God’s truth and is infallible and authoritative in all matters of faith and practice.
- We believe in the Holy Trinity. There is one God, who exists eternally in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- We believe that all are sinners and totally unable to save themselves from God’s displeasure, except by his mercy.
- We believe that salvation is by God alone as he sovereignly chooses those he will save. We believe his choice is based solely on his grace, not on any individual merit or on his foreknowledge of our faith.
- We believe that Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God, who through his perfect life and sacrificial death atoned for the sins of all who will trust in him alone for salvation.
- We believe that the sacraments of baptism and the Lord’s Supper are instituted by the Lord Jesus himself as a sign and seal of his covenant of grace with us.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit dwells in God’s people and gives them the strength and wisdom to trust Christ and follow him.
- We believe that Jesus will return, bodily and visibly, to judge all mankind and to take his people to their eternal home.
- We believe that all aspects of our lives are to be lived to the glory of God under the lordship of Jesus Christ.
For those interested in a longer statement of our beliefs, we embrace the Westminster Confession of Faith and the Longer and Shorter Catechisms.